Tuesday, August 26, 2008

J.J. ABRAMS TALKS ABOUT FRINGE


(Pictured:J.J. Abrams, creator of Fringe)
Lost's J.J. Abrams is returning to TV with the fall's most-buzzed about new show, FRINGE (premieres Tuesday, Sep. 9 at 9 pm/ET, Fox).


Coming off successful shows as Felicity, Alias and Lost, Abrams is understandably nervous.

As Abrams said in an interview with TV Guide: "I feel the pressure every time. I felt it on Felicity, on Alias, on Lost, and I feel it on Fringe. It goes with the territory. But I'm far more excited about people seeing it than I am nervous that they may not like it."


The show revolves around a female FBI agent who investigates bizarre cases with the help of a formerly institutionalized scientist and his equally brilliant but estranged son.


When assked if the FRINGE will have an ongoing story line be ongoing, like Lost's?


Abrams says, "For the most part, you'll be able to tune in whenever you want and get it. You'll have a beginning, middle and an end. But if you want to track the big bad guy and the big overarching story, you can do that, too."


Abrams shows have featured some strong female characters, most noteably Alias' Sydney Bristow, and now FRINGE'S Olivia. "It's funny because I don't consciously write strong women. I just hopefully write strong characters who may happen to be women. If Olivia were a guy, I don't know that you'd be saying, 'Oh, it's a strong male.' But what I love about Olivia is she's got a lot going on that's just barely alluded to in the pilot. And Anna [Torv] is so good because she's clearly the prettiest person in the room, but she's not inaccessible. She's not phony pretty. When I saw her audition, I had the same undeniable feeling I had when I saw Jennifer Garner or Evangeline Lilly", says Abrams.


Though Abrams' last few years have been focused on film having directed Mission Impossible and the upcoming Star Trek movie, he says that whenever he gets to do telievision, he feels like "the luckiest person in the world."


Source: TV Guide: To watch clips of Fringe: Online Video Guide.